International Certification

Mutual Recognition Agreement 

Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA)
Board of Certification (BOC) – (US)
Athletic Therapy Rehabilitation Ireland (ARTI)

In 2014, Athletic Therapy Rehabilitation Ireland (ARTI) joined the Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA) and the Board of Certification (BOC) in a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA). The agreement allows CATA Certified Athletic Therapists; BOC Certified Athletic Trainers; and ARTI Certified Athletic Rehabilitation Therapists the opportunity to take each other’s certification exams, thereby removing barriers for certified professionals to possibly obtain employment in another jurisdiction. Whereas the MRA affords certified professionals the opportunity to work in another jurisdiction, it does not infer work visa or immigration rights to the successful candidate. It is the responsibility of each candidate to apply for and acquire the correct immigration and work visa documents in order to seek employment in another jurisdiction.

For further information regarding Canadian Immigration regulations, please go to:

The information below is provided as a service to Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC), Certified Athletic Therapists (CAT(C)) and Certified Athletic Rehabilitation Therapists (ARTI) to assist with the process involved in the CATA/BOC/ARTI Mutual Recognition Agreement.

The World Federation of Athletic Training and Therapy (WFATT) also provides information on international opportunities, resources, and global recognition standards.

Certified Athletic Therapists (CAT(C)s):

In order to qualify as a candidate for the BOC/ARTI certification exams, a Certified Athletic Therapist’s certification must be confirmed on the BOC/ARTI exam application by an official from the CATA.

For instructions on how to complete the BOC exam application as a CATA Certified Athletic Therapist, see Easy Steps for Online Exam Application Approval on the BOC's website (

For instructions on how to complete the ARTI exam application as a CATA Certified Athletic Therapist, see   

If you have any questions concerning this process please contact the CATA National Office, the BOC or ARTI.

Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC) or Certified Athletic Rehabilitation Therapist (ARTI)

The Frequently Asked Questions section below is provided for your convenience.

CATA Temporary International Membership Application



1. How do I qualify to write the CATA exam as a BOC Certified Athletic Trainer ARTI Certified Athletic Rehabilitation Therapist?
Currently, in order to attempt the CATA Certification Exams as a Temporary International Candidate (TIC), you must be in good standing with the BOC as an ATC or ARTI and with the CATA as a TIC. Additionally, you are required to carry valid First Responder (or equivalent) certification at the time of application that has an expiry date past the date of the examination through a nationally based provider (such as the American Red Cross). Please note that all First Responder courses are not considered equivalent. For a list of approved courses, please contact the CATA National Office.

2. Do I need to have graduated from an accredited degree granting program or does the previous internship programs qualify?
Internship program do not qualify for this mutual recognition agreement.

3. Do I need to be a member of the CATA before I apply to do the exam? What are the fees?
Yes you must be a member of the CATA before you can attempt certification. The CATA Temporary International Membership Application is found at the top of this page. Anyone wishing to attempt the National Certification Exam must maintain their membership status with the CATA for a minimum of 2 years prior to the exam date.

4. Is there a timeline during which time I must write the exam once I become a member?
Yes there is a timeline for certification. You have one year to attempt the exam after being accepted as a member of the CATA.

5. Is there a limit on the number of times I can attempt the exam? 
No there are no limits to the number of times you can attempt certification. However you must also re-attempt exam within two (2) years. CBOCAT recommends that TICs contact the Education Committee and obtain guidance from the International Certification Candidate Liaison prior to attempting the National Certification Exam.

6. Where and when can I write the exams?
Currently, the CATA Certification Exams are held twice per year at two locations - a western Canadian city and an eastern Canadian city. The exam schedule, including location, exam dates and application deadline dates, is posted here.

7. Can I write the written exam in my home country?
The written exam must be proctored by a Certified Athletic Therapist (CAT(C)) who has maintained status with the CATA. If there is such an individual in your home state that is available and willing to proctor the exam on the scheduled date and time, you may be able to write the exam at that location.

8. Am I automatically allowed to work in Canada once I become certified with the CATA?
Certification with the CATA does not infer any legal status as per your eligibility to work in Canada. If you are not a Canadian citizen, this becomes a matter for the federal government. If you are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant, your certification status permits you practice in Canada, assuming you are legally allowed to work in Canada.

9. Where can I go to get an application to do the CATA exam?
CATA Temporary International Membership Application

10. What is my membership classification once I certify?
Once certified there are two categories with the difference being whether you are legally allowed to work in Canada: 1. Certified International Voting Membership: legally allowed to work in Canada 2. Certified International Non-Voting Membership: not legally allowed to work in Canada

11. Once I am certified how do I maintain my certification in both countries at the same time?
You would be required to fulfill the maintenance requirements of the CATA referred to as continuing education units (CEU’s) in order to remain in good standing. CEU’s are required annually but reported every three years. Some if not all of your credits could be applied to more than one association simultaneously.



Contact Jennifer Martins, CATA’s International Candidate Liaison, at: